SCHOLARSHIPS & FINANCIAL AID
The Altamont School offers generous financial aid and merit scholarship programs. Of the current student body, approximately 22% received some form of financial aid, approximately 16% received some form of merit award, and approximately 16% received some form of fellowship or legacy award for the 2015-16 school year.
HOW TO APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID
- By mid-February: Submit the Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) forms at https://sss.secure.force.com/familyportal. The school code is 1220. Completed SSS forms must reach Altamont by March 1 for consideration for financial aid.
- Meet the March 1 deadline: The Altamont School expects both the custodial and non-custodial parents to participate in good faith in support of the child at Altamont. Both parents must complete the Parent Financial Statement (PFS) and provide tax returns. Submit a copy of the Federal Income Tax Form 1040, with all attached schedules and W-2 forms, through the SSS portal. It is the responsibility of the parents, not the School, to coordinate these efforts. To be considered for Financial Aid, ALL MATERIALS MUST BE SUBMITTED THROUGH THE SSS PORTAL BY MARCH 1st.
- All applicants for financial aid must be admitted to Altamont. Current students must be in good standing to receive financial aid or endowed scholarships.
MERIT AND ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMS
Merit and Endowed Scholarships are intended to attract students with exceptional academic ability and leadership achievement. Applicants must be admitted to Altamont. Merit and Endowed Scholarships are competitive and awarded annually. They are renewable as long as the student continues to meet Altamont’s standards for “Honors” academic performance, leadership and personal conduct. The Scholarship Committee will not consider an application from anyone who is not in good standing with the School.
Altamont has an endowed scholarship fund, made possible through the generosity of individuals and companies. These donors believe that lives can be changed with an Altamont education and have ensured that generations of deserving students will reap the benefits.
How to apply for Merit and Endowed Scholarships
- Apply to Altamont and be admitted. An admission packet is available in the Admissions Office. To schedule a visit, call 205-445-1232.
- Submit a Merit and Endowed Scholarship Application with your application to Altamont.
- Have your child write a 500 word personal essay and include that with your application. The purpose of the essay is to get to know your child and his or her achievements.
Students must be in good standing with the School to be considered for Merit and Endowed Scholarships.
HEAD OF SCHOOL MERIT AWARDS
One-time scholarships are awarded by the Head of School to promising new students who exhibit exceptional academic ability and leadership potential, regardless of financial need. Decisions on these awards will be made from the regular admissions applications. No separate applications are necessary.
ALTAMONT LEGACY AND FELLOWSHIP AWARDS
Altamont Legacy Awards
These awards are given to students who possess personal integrity, strong character, leadership potential and academic excellence. Legacy Awards are presented to qualifying students who are also children or grandchildren of alumni and alumnae of Birmingham University School, Brooke Hill, or Altamont. These awards are given regardless of financial need. Recipients are also eligible for other awards as well as financial aid.
Altamont Fellowship Awards
Fellowship Awards are presented to qualifying students who possess personal integrity, strong character, leadership potential, and academic excellence. These awards are given regardless of financial need. Recipients are also eligible for other awards as well as financial aid.
How to apply for Legacy and Fellowship Awards
- Submit an application and be admitted to Altamont. An admission packet containing all necessary materials is available in the Admissions Office. To schedule your visit to Altamont, call the Admissions office at 205-445-1232.
- Submit the Fellowship or Legacy Award Application with your application to Altamont.
Students must be in good standing with the School to be considered for a Fellowship or Legacy Award.